Cloud Security Myths Debunked


Blog - Cloud Security Myths Debunked

Whether it is to do with fear and uncertainty or whether the on-premise or anti-cloud enthusiasts are propagating false information, there are currently a number of myths regarding cloud computing security that need to be debunked. 

In order for consumers to make informed decision regarding cloud computing options we felt it was important to provide the following information.

Cloud Computing Security Myths 1 to 3:

1. The cloud simply cannot be secure

The cloud environment absolutely can be secure—in fact, it is almost always more secure than an on-premise server room. “But not all clouds are created equal,”. “Nor, for that matter are all server rooms.” There are varying levels of vendor capabilities that make for varying levels of security. Enterprises must establish clear criteria for maintaining control and visibility whether they are securing their server room or securing there cloud apps.

In a 2011 survey, 90 percent of companies with on-premise server rooms said they had been hacked in the previous 12 months. Security experts will tell you that the remaining 10 percent just didn’t realize they’d been hacked. While there are high profile case of cloud hacking that are made public and promoted by the on premise advocates, this high rate of vulnerability does not exist in the cloud.

2. Most on-premise systems are secure enough

Our research has shown that most owners and managers of small businesses dangerously overestimate their current level of security. They don’t have recent back-ups and don’t secure them off-site .They don’t have a disaster recovery plan for when things go wrong and they don’t encrypt their valuable data.

Most cloud application providers guarantee 99% uptime or above, they provide online backup and restore infrastructure, and your data is encrypted while being transmitted on the internet. The technology they provide would cost the average small business thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars annually.

3. Cloud is only for small organizations as large organizations won't risk security

Simply not true. Some of the largest companies in the world not only use but rely on cloud technology. I can assure you that almost all our clients use some from of cloud technology from our largest 150 ERP user client to our clients with just 5 user systems

Learn more about the Cloud:

How Cloud Technology Helps Your Company Overcome Challenges

At BAASS Business Solutions, we seek to help our customers improve processes to become more profitable. We take the time to understand the needs of your business and help you select software that will improve efficiencies, service, and profitability. For more information, please contact us.

BAASS Author

About The Author

BAASS Author

BAASS Business Solutions customer-centric, collaborative approach has enabled us to expand our team and office locations throughout the years. BAASS has over 20 locations throughout Canada, the US and Caribbean. Our success has been built on a simple formula - deliver what we promise and build long-term win-win relationships.